Thursday 7 February 2008

Musical watercolours from our countries

I was just reading Fabiana Bredi's post on her travel blog http://eaustralia.blogspot.com/ about songs that represent our countries. Her link led me into YouTube where I found Gal Costa's version of 'Watercolours from Brazil', Acuarelas do Brasil an excellent production with the most beautiful sceneries in slideshows.

I really like music and could not avoid rejoicing at watching the video. As I live next to Brazil, we frequently travel there for our summer holidays. In general, I think, music from the northeast of Argentina receives a strong influence from Brazil and Paraguay, as well as from European cultures, due to the immigration stream of early 20th.C.

Well,I took the challenge and I looked for some YouTube videos to share with you, these are two chamames that represent our region: 'Sobredosis de Chamamé'
and Chango Spasiuk's 'Mi pueblo, mi casa, mi soledad'
which means 'My town, my house, my loneliness'. How do you like them?

Travelling south into the Argentinian culture, from Misiones to Buenos Aires, you will find tango as the most representative musical genre. I suggest you to watch this audio-video 'Libertango' a version of Piazzola's musical by Spasiuk, too. This is really cool!

Blogging is wonderful. In four weeks we already started sharing our feelings, tastes and knowledge from all over the world. I'm really amazed! still awkward or clumsy about widgets, twitters, RSS, tags, pings, and so on , but joyfully learning ! Congrats for the moderators whose willingnes and encouraging words help us to go on.

I'll be looking forward to every kind of comment, so I may go on learning...

Technorati Profile Add to Technorati Favorites

3 comments:

Mary H said...

Your blog is guiding readers to more and more creative resources with every post! I heard that there is an International Tango Day in December and that two of our co-moderators, Gladys and Carla R have some family members who are involved in the tango community. Blogging is truly an amazing way to make connections, isn't it?

Maria Martha Espindola said...

Dear Vicky,
I totally agree with you as reagards music and how it expresses people's feelings, cultural attitudes and their personal interaction with the landscape around.
As you say, Argentina is so vast that many different musical styles converge in our folklore.
My favourites are chamamé, ("Una dosis de chamamé" is an interesting updated chamame), chacareras,(My favourite artist is Peteco Carabajal, from Santiago del Estero) and tango in the third place, because I only like some classical ones and definitely Piazzola's.
I congratulate you on the idea of relating music and painting! Both are different but equally rich languages to express ourselves.
My hat off to U!
Love, xxx, ma.ma.

Maria Martha Espindola said...

Here goes a video from Peteco Carabajal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFD3V5XK27k
I hope I am embbeding well and you can enjoy this beautiful chacarera.
Love, ma.ma.